Friday, June 6, 2008

1st Day in Uganda

The first day I arrived in Uganda at 7:30 in the morning we went back to the house and then went to help a build a house for a widow with 17 orphans. It was unbelievable how welcoming and loving everyone was to me. I immediately went over to the children and wanted to spend time with them. Most of them do not speak english but if so just a little amount. I truly felt in place and completely comfortable. One child just started crying when he saw me because I dont think he has ever seen a white person before. I have heard of this happening but I didnt think it would really happen. He was fine until I put out my hand then he started to cry. I have heard sometimes people who have not seen white people are afraid because they think white people are ghosts. Anyways, a young woman named Paris came over with her son Edward and was able to speak some english and teach me some Lugandan. It was really fun and most of the Ugandans just laugh or smile at me. I spent most of my times with them. I also went with the group to go get water. It was very eye opening to actually see the water they drink. It is very incredibly dirty. Also, i was with a 12 year old girl who was carrying a large jug of water. I carried it on my head for a little while but she could have done it for a long time but luckily the truck came to help take the water back. The people I have met are truly amazing. They are so happy and strong. Their bodies are so thin yet they are so full of energy. I really wish people in the United States could realize how much they have and not focus on material things. I love how everyone here is so family and community focused. It is really amazing the compassion they have for people. It is something we need to learn in the United States.

1 comment:

StrawberryFire said...

It's great to have you here with us!!!
Michelle